Saturday, July 23, 2011

Grandma Pat’s Perfect Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

This is one of my all-time favorite desserts! It is a recipe of my grandma's, and although it has very few ingredients it is absolutely delicious! It is one of my favorite food memories from my childhood, and every time I eat it I have flashbacks to sitting and eating in my grandma's kitchen. I hope it can make as many amazing memories for your family as it has for mine.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 (20 oz.) can pineapple rings in juice, drained and juice reserved
1 (6 oz.) jar maraschino cherries, drained
1 package yellow cake mix

Directions:

Preheat oven according to cake mix directions. Make cake batter according to directions on package, except substitute pineapple juice for water (if amount is less than needed add water to pineapple juice to get required amount). Meanwhile, spread melted butter over bottom of a greased or parchment papered cake pan; sprinkle brown sugar evenly over top of butter. Arrange pineapple slices with cherries inside center of each pineapple ring. Pour cake batter over fruit; bake in heated oven for 40 – 45 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. After removing from oven, immediately turn pan upside down onto heat-proof serving dish; leave pan over cake for 1 minute before removing. Serve with whipped topping for a tasty and out-of-the-ordinary dessert!

No comments: